My Husband Ryan and I <3

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Facing the Fear of Running

 I had my first asthma attack when I was three years old. Growing up, I was always last picked for sports and always had a fear of running because I knew the chances of having an asthma attack was very high. I knew that if I would try to run in P.E. or on the playground I could have an asthma attack and be embarrassed to have to use my inhaler. 
 Once a year we had field and track day in elementary school, where we would go to the track and each get to do a race. I always would dread this day each year knowing I would make a fool of myself running with all my other classmates. I was signed up for the 50 meter dash with 6 other girls in my class. I stood at the starting line and had already told myself, I was going to fail. On your mark, get set, go! I ran so fast and got my first taste of what running and the endorphins felt like! Before I knew it, I had fallen into the gravel and ripped my knee up. I got up and finished the race and came in 2nd. All that mattered to me was that I finished. Even if I was wheezing and had a ripped up knee.  

Within the last month, I started thinking about what I could do to better my health and challenge myself. I started thinking about what I could do that would really challenge myself. I found the 13.1 marathon series benefiting World Vision. 13.1 series Knowing I am Running for a great Cause for the World Vision team keeps me motivated. 

I've done 1 week of training so far out of 21 weeks. It has been a bit of a challenge with Asthma, but so far I feel like it's a mind game with a little bit of asthma. I need to get over the fear of having an asthma attack and really learn to run though my Asthma. 

This blog is dedicated to all asthmatics that want to conquer their fear of running. Follow me as I share my training moments, both positive and learning moments.   

No comments:

Post a Comment